Saturday, June 22, 2013

Day 3 Post-Op - Exiting the Dark Place

This day was sorely needed.  The pain was a tiny bit less.  I was starting to feel compelled to move my knee a little.  I was able to do a few leg lifts and begin to build some quad strength. I started laying in more positions than simply on my back.

The hip on the same side as my injured knee was starting to really, really hurt.  Too many days in 1 position, I'm sure.  It became as uncomfortable as my knee.

My husband came home this day, too.  My daughter, who'd been gone for 2 weeks at camp, came home.  I'm sure this was a big part of my return from the "the dark funk".

My husband helped me take a shower.  I was so nauseous, dizzy, uncomfortable, but we got it done.  We used my shower chair and he stood in the shower to help me.  I was relieved to be clean and the water running over my knee wasn't awful.  This helped me return from "the dark funk", too.  I went straight back to bed, but had my sisters (my 2nd sister had come to visit), my husband, my daughter and son.  I was starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I had some great friends that were ready to come visit with wine and games.  The shower had been so difficult that I asked them to hold off.  I wasn't up for more visitors than my family at that point.  They might have lifted my spirits even more, but it felt overwhelming to consider.

About 2 hours later, I went downstairs for the first time since surgery and my daughter and sisters took me to see the horses on the ATV.  The sun was setting, the horses were happy, and I felt a little more of the dark funk washing away.  I was smiling.  The pain was managed and I could forget about my knee for a bit.  Sweet relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment